Saturday, March 18, 2006

Family vs. Friends

After my second viewing of the movie "In Her Shoes", I pondered the differences between friends and family. For those that have not seen the movie, the interaction between the older sister's character to the younger is one of almost unconditional love. No matter what the younger one does, the older can only stay mad for so long and eventually whatever happens is somehow smoothed over. This is the beauty of family. Through thick and thin, family is family. There is nothing that one can do to undo the ties that bind. This is where I take my family for granted. I do not think that I always give them the gratitude, respect, or credit that is due them because I know they are my family and they always will be.


On the other side of the coin, are friends. Sometimes you can connect with a friend on a deeper level than some of your family members. Sometimes you feel more open to sharing your heart with a friend rather than family. Here's the thing though, for me, I sometimes hesitate to share all of my thoughts or feelings with a friend because they don't have the same tie to me that my family does. They can always get out of the friendship, there is nothing that keeps them from one day saying to me, "Hey it was fun, but I don't think we can be friends anymore."

When does a friendship reach the point where one feels like family and you know that you can say anything to him or her and they will stick by you like a brother or sister? Is there such a thing? I do believe so, I think that's what brings a husband and wife together, the feeling that you can say anything to this person and they will not leave your side, for better or for worse. But until that friendship evolves, it seems as though one must be careful not to give too much of one's heart away lest the pain of losing a friendship becomes too hard to bear. The struggle is when to hold back and when to share. I guess the thing that I need to always keep in the back of my mind is that my Lord and Savior is in reality the only one who sticks closer than a brother. He is in it with me for the long haul, no matter what and I know I can always tell Him anything and He will never leave me or forsake me.

1 comment:

Alishia said...

Ahh, you're cute and spunky fam-a-dam!