Thursday, March 23, 2006

Nothing you can't handle.....


I was talking with a friend today who has gone through some pretty major stuff in her life and she's not even out of her 20's yet. She's experienced more trauma and hardship than some might in a lifetime. But who is to say that a hardship of hers compared to a hardship to someone else is any more or less significant? I think it is important to take someone's situation into context with their life and what they have undergone in the course of their existence. If all they have ever known is a picture perfect life where Mommy and Daddy have always provided for their every care and need, and then all of a sudden they are kicked out of the house, with no work experience, and no knowledge of how to get started, that can be as traumatic to them as a person who deals with an anxiety disorder and is afraid to step through a threshold of a door to a room that contains 20 or more people that they have never seen before.

What I am trying to say is that I believe every individual has a breaking point, a threshold that is between them and God. God knows how much is too much, and when the timing is right to allow the person to fall just a little harder than they might want in order to allow Himself to help take over the driving for a bit, that's when something breaks down. It is written in the Bible that there isn't a thing that God can't get us through, or provide a way out, thus giving us hope for something better, something more. Mother Theresa was quoted saying, “I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much.”

When I was talking to my friend today, I was thinking to myself, there is no way that I could have endured all of the stuff that she has gone through and still maintain the faith that she has in God today. However, maybe it was each one of those circumstances being orchestrated by God so that through every one of those trials, my friend would have only one option left, to turn to God and surrender. Maybe it takes more for some to surrender their life, more trials, more hard times, before one realizes that there is so much more outside of ourselves that is working in this world. I know for certain, no one will endure tha pain and suffering that one man did for the whole world. And for that, I am eternally in debted to His service.

No comments: