Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Science? Art? Disturbing?


A recent exhibition known as Body Worlds 2 has arrived at the Museum of Nature and Science here in Denver, Colorado. As observed from the title, this is a sequel to another exhibition by the same creator who has designed a technique known as "Plastination" which enables the human body to be infused with a plastic-like substance which preserves all parts of the body in the exact same position for an indefinite amount of time. In this way, a cadaver can be frozen in motion with muscles flexed and relaxed in the exact position one would find him or herself if they were doing that movement in real life. Organs are also displayed in this exhibition, for example, a juxtaposition between a healthy lung and that of a smoker. Fetuses and even a woman who died while carrying a baby are also there for display.

There has been some talk of this exhibit and whether it is deemed science or art or if it should even be on display in this manner. I'm curious to know what you think, check out the link for yourself and let me know.

2 comments:

pk said...

I'm intrigued. I'd go check it out.

Anonymous said...

I think it is incredible that a man overcoming such Cold-War hardships was still driven enough to find an innovative outlet for his life. Medical practice has been likened to combining science and art...I think this is just an outgrowth of the latter, and if it came through Phoenix, I'd certainly check out Dr. von Hagen's work. I remember being in high school biology and handling ugly rubberized baby shark specimens. I wish they had been plasticized: the intricate details would have been preserved. Instead, they looked like doggy chew toys.