Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Trip to Tucson

On Tuesday this week I took Josh down to the University Medical Center down in Tucson for his second Chemotherapy drip. I wanted to do this. I wanted to do this for myself, so that I could experience what Josh goes through when he is getting his treatment. I wanted to be able to relate to him regarding this experience. I wanted to do it for my parents. They have done so much for Josh lately, it was time to give them a break. I wanted to do it for Josh, to give him a break from my parents, and to walk beside him through this journey.

I felt the prayers of those who have been supporting me and my family. I felt like God carried us through the whole process on Tuesday, from start to finish. The staff at UMC are really wonderful, the facilities are very comfortable and peaceful, and the free wireless connection was a nice bonus :)

It was hard to hold back asking Josh questions about the process of the day, but I could tell her was anxious about it already, and I didn't need to add to that. So I tried as best I could to accommodate him, carry his stuff, grab things from the car if he needed them, and waited...and waited...and waited.

Every nurse that Josh came in contact with was soon won over by his knowledge of what they were doing, or his vigor in wanting to hit this cancer with all he's got. Every procedure left everyone with a smile on their face, from the blood draw, to the exam, to the 3 1/2 hours of chemo. It was pretty amazing to watch, actually. Josh just has a way with the nurses.

The next day was a little more on the overwhelming side for me, as we met with the homeopathic doctor (cash only) and he recommended about half a dozen supplements for Josh to take, on top of the other four or five medications he is already taking. I agree the Western medicine and Eastern medicine should coincide with one another, I just wish there was a way to get some of it covered by insurance. Josh is shoveling out a lot of money for these natural remedies. On top of which, he is talking to two or three other friends that are recommending their own concoctions for Josh to try. Josh's brain just soaks up all the information, but hearing all of this stuff for the first time sort of made m head spin and overwhelmed me.

And even though I want Josh to do whatever he can to kill this cancer, I think there has to be a limit to how many different things he can put in his body. This next cycle, if Josh ingested all the pills that have been recommended by all of the people he has been talking to, he is probably up to a couple dozen a day. Between the Xeloda, the anti-nausea, the pain killers, the supplements, and the homeopathic remedies. It was all just a little much for me.

The important thing is that I experienced it all WITH Josh. We were able to talk about it. Sit in it. And just be. I made sure he knew that I love him and want what is best for him. And he gave me permission to kick his butt back into place if it comes to that.

We made it back home, I went for a nice long run yesterday afternoon, and then had a wonderful yoga session this morning. Thank the Lord for exercise! Now I prepare for a week and a half on the road....Texas and California here we come!

No comments: